Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hell Yeah Indochina

I recently returned from a heavenly holiday in South-East Asia during which most of my time was divided between beach-lazing and market-browsing. My main man Michael took all the photos I was too lazy to, and so it's thanks to him that I have some pictorial evidence of the marvelous markets in Luang Prabang, Laos:



Photos by Michael Krasovitsky

As I understand it, the extraordinary metal necklaces are made by the Hmong people in Laos (I remember seeing similar stuff for sale in Vietnam when I went a few years back). Unlike the jewellery sold in the Camodian markets, none of this stuff appeared to be made from precious materials (namely silver) - just the way I like it. I actually didn't end up buying one of the necklaces because I found myself quite overwhelmed by the sheer number, beauty and monumentality of the pieces. No surprises, I have lived to curse my lack of shopping prowess. Note to self: grow a pair.

No comments: