Friday, September 21, 2012

A sloped, rounded shoulder

So here's a thing: Sometimes I loathe fashion. Like, I find it incredibly exhausting. But when I love it, I think I love it more than anything.

Whatever. Feel me now - there is a sloped shoulder about to happen (probably eased in via a raglan sleeve). I track it to Raf Simons' last Jil Sander collection.

Anyway. Here is a young Queen Victoria, painted by Franz Xavier Winterhalter:

I hate those shoulders. Aren't they weak? Don't they just scream cowed down-ness, timidity and, well, bad posture? They are not attractive.

Are they back? What is old is new, babe.

Here is Alexander Wang RTW Spring 2013:




Prediction: along with the sloped, rounded shoulders of the mid-19th century, prepare for a V-ish princess waistline (ew, urgh).

p.s. I LOVED the illusion lines of the dresses in Wang's collection:


As it turns out the trend can be bettered.

No comments: